This course is designed to give you the additional skills and knowledge to work with young people aged 11-18.
The course will be delivered at the Heartwood Centre on the Dartington Estate, over 12 class room based sessions.
We create a supportive learning environment here at Heartwood and will guide learners through their studies.
Suitable for people who are either on or have completed the Level 4 Advanced Diploma in Counselling. Counsellors come to us from a diverse variety of backgrounds with a vast range of skills and ability, as well as an established understanding of the counselling profession. It offers the opportunity to enhance further career and life skills, and can aid in accessing specialist counselling and therapeutic professions.
Heartwood students have access to outdoor and indoor light and warm recreational spaces with seating for break times and its own refreshment making facilities.
One weekend per month starting – to be announced – please register your interest.
This Level 5 Specialist Advanced Diploma is aimed at qualified counsellors (and those about to qualify) interested in developing and expanding their current practice to effectively counsel young people.
It is possible to start this course after the first year of your Level 4 Advanced Diploma in Counselling.
Heartwood’s theoretical approach presented on the course is Integrative and Holistic. We will look at integrating models, techniques, theories and a range of modalities that suit the individual client. Whilst working on developing relationship skills which will aid therapeutic work.
The course delivers a range of theory and techniques designed to equip students with the skills required to work ethically and competently with a variety of issues related to working with young people and children.
We will focus on providing a safe and non-judgemental environment in which to practice new skills and techniques to enhance current practice and develop confidence in working with young people.
We integrate appropriate theory with creative and experiential aspects to make the learning experience thorough, thought provoking and professional.
The course delivery is through experiential and didactic learning designed to inspire and engender confidence in counsellors to work in this field, incorporating all of the current requirements for working with and safeguarding young people.
The course is rich with creativity and thoroughly engaging.
Must be a member of a governing body (BACP NCS UKCP etc)
Must have a minimum of year one of the Level 4 Diploma in Counselling qualification (or equivalent)
No Interview is required for this course.
Further advancing our counselling skills, personal and professional development, on this course we will specialise in:
- Your relationship with your own adolescence
- Type of issues young person may bring to counselling
- Developmental and social aspects which may affect young people
- Assessment and appropriate interventions when counselling young people
- Effectiveness and critical reflection of young people counselling models
- Impact of self-awareness on counselling relationship & practice work
- Self-development and reflection
- Social, cultural and biological factors in treatment plans
- Conducting assessments
- Relate theory of diversity to client assessment and treatment choices
- Identifying severe or complex mental health problems and support referral pathways
- Personal well-being, competence and efficacy
- This course specialises in the following:
- Ethical framework & code of conduct
- Theoretical models & concepts
- Risk management, assessments & referral pathways
- Personal & professional guidance and support
- Complex dynamics counselling young people
- Therapy contracts for counselling young people
- Supervision when working with young people
- Continuing professional development (CPD) pathways
- Working within limits of own proficiency
- Safeguarding young people and children
- Difference, Diversity & Inclusion
The course requires the following:
- A minimum of 85% attendance on tuition days
- Completion of a learning journal
- Demonstration of practical skills
- Engagement in course exercises
- Completion of externally assessed case study
- Supervision and completion of supervisors proficiency statement
- Practice proficiency assessment
Register your interest
To register your interest in this course without obligation, please click here
To enrol on this course, please select your payment method below and then select ‘Buy now’ to proceed.