If you are ready to embark on a course which gives you the essential theories and skills involved in becoming a counsellor, then our Foundation in Counselling (Level 3 equivalent) is for you. The training also aims to prepare you to progress your journey to our Advanced Diploma in Counselling – NCPS Accredited (Level 4 equivalent) – the next step to becoming a professional counsellor.
No prior experience is required, as this course is a comprehensive and complete foundation into counselling.
This course has been Quality Checked by the National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society (NCPS)*.
Suitable for people engaged in a caring or therapeutic role, anyone working in a people focused environment or anyone interested in counselling skills, the course attracts people with diverse professional and personal backgrounds. It offers the opportunity to enhance further career and life skills, and can be a stepping stone to accessing counselling and therapeutic professions.
* This course alone is not a route to the Accredited Register nor does it fully equip a graduate to practice as a qualified counsellor.
Evening classes take place online, one evening per week 6pm – 9.30pm over 26 weeks (including one full day Saturday class).
Daytime classes take place online, one day per week 10am – 4.30pm over 15 weeks.
Morning classes take place online, one morning per week 10am – 1.30pm over 26 weeks (including one full day Saturday class).
Weekend classes take place online, one weekend per month, 10am – 4.30 pm over approximately 6 months.
- Next evening online course starts:
- 22nd February 2024, weekly on Thursday evenings (fully booked, reserve list available)
- 16th April 2024, weekly on Tuesday evenings
- Next morning online course starts:
- 13th March 2024, weekly on Wednesday mornings
- Next daytime online course starts: date to be announced shortly
- Next weekend online course starts:
- 27th January 2024, weekly on Saturday (fully booked, reserve list available)
This course is Quality Checked by the National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society (NCPS)*, you will learn how to create a safe space for counselling and a range of therapeutic skills and techniques to explore client issues.
This course is suitable for people who are looking to progress to our Advanced Diploma in Counselling – NCPS Accred (Level 4 equivalent). or for anybody working in the caring profession. It will give you important skills which are of great value in your life as well as the workplace! A perfect place to being if you are looking for a change in career path!
*This course alone is not a route to the Accredited Register nor does it fully equip a graduate to practice as a qualified counsellor.
This course is also available in the classroom at our Devon, London, West Yorkshire and Birmingham venues.
Find out where we are.
Please click on the below link to view and download the course calendar for upcoming courses:
27th January 2024 – Weekly on Saturday (online only)
22nd February 2024 – Weekly on Thursday Evening (online only)
13th March 2024 – Weekly on Wednesday Morning (online only)
16th April 2024 – Weekly on Tuesday Evening (online only)
No prior knowledge or experience required to enrol on this course.
Applications welcome over the age of 19yrs.
The Foundation in Counselling (Level 3 equivalent) course furthers our understanding and knowledge of ourselves and counselling concepts, theory and skills.
Heartwood’s theoretical approach presented on the course is both Integrative and Holistic. We will look at integrating models, techniques, theories and a range of modalities that suit the individual client. Whilst working on developing relationship skills which will aid therapeutic work.
We will cover a range of approaches including Gestalt Therapy, Person Centred Therapy, CBT and Third Wave CBT.
We will work with the full perception of the client, their world from their eyes, adapting our methods to accommodate our client’s needs and working with the way a client’s problems may present as:
- Thoughts – fixed beliefs or negative ideas, old messages (introjects).
- Emotions – grief, anger, sadness, regret, guilt, shame.
- Physical – panic attacks, insomnia, eating disorders, self-harm.
- Spiritual – hopes, dreams, aspirations, purpose.
This course further develops counselling, communication and listening skills through the following client centred practices; effective questioning and working at an appropriate pace, managing silence, active listening and minimal encouragement prompts, paraphrasing and summarising, attentiveness and rapport building, empathetic listening, checking for understanding and focusing.
- Drama Triangle
- Self-awareness development – experiential exercises
- Therapeutic skills and interventions
- Techniques to explore client issues
- Create a safe space for counselling – setting clear boundaries
- Personal & professional conduct and creating a therapy contract
- How people gain support
- Holding emotional space
- Deepening congruence and becoming authentic in relationships
- Exploring challenging emotions
- A minimum of 85% attendance on tuition days
- Completion of learning journals for each taught session
- Completion of course assignments
- Demonstration of practical skills throughout
- Active participation in experiential aspects of the training
Full course fees are £1045
There are two ways to secure your place on this course:
- Pay £1045 in full now
- Pay deposit of £395 followed by a monthly payment plan of £172* for 4 months. *(includes an administration fee of £38 for instalment payments).
Overseas students are required to pay in full.
What Students Say
“It was over too quickly, the tutor was wonderful and really supported me. I have met some wonderful people on this course who are also going onto the level 4 course with me, I can’t wait, I am hooked!”
Register your interest
To register your interest in this course, please click here
To enrol on this course, please select your payment method below and then select ‘Buy now’ to proceed.